Forum Index
Hyundai Accent Club of Malaysia

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overdrive
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slbeh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

our Hyundai accent has the automatic transmission computer system which has builded in grade logic control & fuzzy logic program to down shift and upshift the gears when climbing hills and hence more powerful in the climb .............
but my question is.....are u still using the Overdrive function when climbing hills since the grade logic control & fuzzy logic program will take care the gear engaging ??? Question I did not use the overdrive function When climbing hills very long time already Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
gvoyager

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by the SA that overdrive function is more for overtaking. Say when you're driving at 110 kph following a car and decided to over take it. Then you turn off overdrive so it would give you extra "kick" when you press the pedal compared to full accelaration down the floor. So other functions will take care of climbing hills like skip shift.

Please correct me if am wrong cos I have no idea what's all these fuzzy logic, overdrive etc until the SA explained them to me.
kingkong
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: how to use overdrive Reply with quote

Here is an article I found on how to use overdrive
"Generally speaking, overdrive (O/D) is the highest gear in the transmission.
On our Accent cars the automatic transmission has 3 speeds and Overdrive (is the forth speed). Overdrive allows the engine to have less rpm with higher speed in order to have better fuel efficiency.
When you switch it on, you allow the transmission to shift into overdrive mode after the certain speed is reached (usually 48 - 64 km/h depending on the load).
When it's off, you limit transmission shifting by third speed.
In normal driving condition the overdrive should be always ON. In our Accent, O/D is on when the little button on the gear knop is depressed and the "O/D OFF" does not show in our Instrument Panel.
You may need to switch it off if you drive in mountains area. [The automatic transmission automatically shifts from OD to the 3-th gear when it feel more load. When it feels less load it shifts back to the O/D, but under certain conditions, e.g: driving uphill or towing a trailer, the transmission can not decide to stay in OD or to shift into 3-th speed and it starts to shift back and forth. That's the time you may switch it off and help the transmission to decide.] .You also may need to switch it off when you want to slowdown using the engine braking, for example, driving downhill."

source : http://www.samarins.com/maintenance/transmain.html#overdrive

gvoyager: Hope the above give you a clearer idea what O/D is. My advice is just keep the O/D on even when overtaking cars.

slbeh: As long as you dont feel that the car keeps changing between 3rd and "Overdrive" gear then you can just keep the overdrive on.

Wink
gvoyager

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kingkong. But it seems like some A/T accent owners have no problem going to Genting without switching off the overdrive mode. So I guess the skip shift function does help and is really useful.
ycsteven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i jz wondering whether the overdrive mode really save fuel on the highway driving, coz i really if i on the overdrive mode seems like the rpm is running higher coz boost up the power of the car, bt i heard many ppl said the overdirve mode good for highway, anyone can explain this?and jz to confirm, is the overdrive mode light on means the overdrive mode on rite?no light means the overdrive mode off right?
marky
Club Founder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article in the Sunday Star paper that we do not have to always on/off our OD. We can just floor the accelerator pedal (press fully the accelerator) and it will downshift just like OD off and we can over take any vehicles. So keep the OD on all the time.
slbeh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ycsteven wrote:
i jz wondering whether the overdrive mode really save fuel on the highway driving, coz i really if i on the overdrive mode seems like the rpm is running higher coz boost up the power of the car, bt i heard many ppl said the overdirve mode good for highway, anyone can explain this?and jz to confirm, is the overdrive mode light on means the overdrive mode on rite?no light means the overdrive mode off right?

no..the overdrive off when the light on.....the indicator light will show u the "OD OFF" below the speedometer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
dagg3r

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

driving with O/D on, on highway. 110kmph will only use like 2.6k rpm... Good for fuel efficiency. Very Happy

1) HPIS EMS 400
2) Grounding
3) pivot Volt Stablelizer
4) Micro Processor & super magnetic
Hyundai Accent 1.5 GLS AT April 2004
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
david
Club Founder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking back about overdrive, is that really sure that;

1. overdrive on for highway
2. overdrive off for hill up and down

what about traffic light? traffic jam? on or off?

Second question, can someone explain more what is grounding? the link does not work. Confused
ycsteven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:

Second question, can someone explain more what is grounding? the link does not work. Confused
it is suppose to be OD OFF when u driving at City, but i tried before..which is more Fuel Consumption, so let the OD ON all the time..maybe i'm wrong..but i really tested it with few tanks of petrol already..
TewKY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:

Look for DIY grounding in this forum will find more info.
slbeh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ycsteven wrote:
david wrote:

it is suppose to be OD OFF when u driving at City, but i tried before..which is more Fuel Consumption, so let the OD ON all the time..maybe i'm wrong..but i really tested it with few tanks of petrol already..

no
always OD on to save the fc unless u need to go up/down the hill but I did not use the OD off for climing the hill, since our accent has the automatic transmission computer system which has builded in grade logic control & fuzzy logic program to down shift and upshift the gears when climbing hills and hence more powerful in the climb
Twisted Evil
augustineaf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slbeh wrote:
ycsteven wrote:
david wrote:

no
always OD on to save the fc unless u need to go up/down the hill but I did not use the OD off for climing the hill, since our accent has the automatic transmission computer system which has builded in grade logic control & fuzzy logic program to down shift and upshift the gears when climbing hills and hence more powerful in the climb
Twisted Evil

hi,

i normally use OD off when i want to overtake cars!!! so far i feel that when i overtake with OD off the car pick-up is better and faster than having the OD on.
i also use OD off when i am on highway driving about 110km/j contant speed, i feel the car can really vroom vroom!!
however when travelling up-hill and down-hill, i prefer to keep the OD on coz the engine response is better.
therefore, as a summary i usually use OD off when i want to speed fast in a short length of time or at highway only.

cheers
david
Club Founder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... augustineaf, your opinion really different. I read sibeh opinion and the OD explanation which tellers the two.

Cool
fabho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Augustine, wont your fc goes higher if your OD is off while driving on highway? What is your fc then?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Car Engine & Electrical All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: