Forum Index
Hyundai Accent Club of Malaysia

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Michelin MXV8/XM1 tyres Only
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Wheel, Tyre, Suspension & Safe Operation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TewKY

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gilthoniel wrote:
so is this dunlop le mans better than the michelin xm1?

Very sure Michelin XM1 win Dunlop Le Mans bcos of $$$.
chkwong

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once a michelin...likely u will buy michelin again...price difference between other makes is not a lot but the quality is lots better...

take the mxv8 if u can afford...and make sure ur rim is 15" and above...

again...difficult to tell u which one is better until u use it urself...some like cap a...some like cap b... once the price difference of 10-20 bucks is not a factor then u know what i mean...if 10 bucks matters to you...take bridgestone...or use the cheapest one...but don't speed...its dangerous
Gilthoniel
General Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dun think i'll be changing soon... my dad's principle lagi teruk... change only the worn out tyres... so i guess in the end my car will have a mixture of 2 brands of tyres... sigh....

i tot the dunlop is RM168 and the michelin is RM165?
marky
Club Founder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it depends on individual preferences.

For me, I'll go for $ = quality (except Goodyear tires).

I have tried Michelin before (the older model Certis which is replaced by XM1). It is really good during wet weather and it still 'sticks' to the road when passes a puddle of water. It's good for people who like to be on the 'little' fast lane and those who travel a lot - like me. But for now, the sad part is, it's made in Thailand using (if not mistaken) Indonesia's rubber.

As for Dunlop Le Mans (refering to the new model 702 imported from Japan) I have not tried it, but I have check with many tyre shops and it is always sold out fast. People are willing to trade in their Goodyear/Sime Tyre's for it (odd that I never hear they want to exchance for Michelin) But according to the tyre shop people, Le Mans is made in Japan and the rubber used is from Malaysia (best quality) and value for $. Was thinking to change 2 on my old iswara before getting it for my Accent by end of this year.

This is just my opinion.
Better quality+lower price = Michelin (soft compound)
Bit better quality+bit higher price = Le Mans (will be testing it soon)
Best quality+extreamly high price = F1 Tyres!!! Laughing (just joking)
Worse quality+Dirt cheap price = Sime Tyres
OK only quality+bit pricey = Goodyear (hard compound)
fabho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chkwong wrote:
i'm using the 185/65/14 size which is a bit odd size...which is thicker...but more comfortable...going over bumps no prob since the car is higher by about 9mm...xm1 is a lot lot lot quieter than ur stock tyres...trying running the stock tyres on highway 110km speed and u see/hear what i mean...should have get the mxv8 instead...but then ran out of $$$ coz my colleague get the mxv8 for his honda accord and truly satisfied

btw, hv been using michelin since the days of proton...my wira coming to 10 yrs come january...so far no regrets...even got one time masuk lubang besar in old klang...but tyre did not burst...only slight bump...next morning got to change tyre...coz it risky to run on pregnant tyres...

IMHO...invest in safety and comfort...that way u will truly appreciate ur accent

Chkwong, how much did your tyres cost u? Does the tyres look weird on our accent? I m thinking of changing to either michelin 65 or 60
chkwong

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't remember how much...i think i did post it here quite some time ago...i think i trade in my old tyre...and all together i top up was about rm 600...not sure...including the spare tyre also...

nope....65 size is a bit high...but going over bumpers is easier...since u dun hv to slow down a lot...but 60 is better for cornering...but since jln puchong is so bumpy....i use 65 instead...unless the rd here in like in uk...then i use 60 or even 55...
chkwong

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top up a bit u get the Michelin la. Common, give Michelin a try. Once you try it, you sure dump Goodyears tyres already. Then you will start to think what hv you been missing all this while.

Share my family story...
Once my brother's car (old Saga) change tyres to brand X, cheaper than Michelin RM10 bucks only. After just 1 day of driving he swear and curse next time he wont try to save the RM10 per tyre just for kiamsiap.

Share my colleague story...
This mgmr drive Accord, I recommend him the higher grade MXV8. He said too expensive. Ok lor, just change front two tyres first la. Then he change it. Next day, he told he 'It's a world different compared to my previous set'.

If you can't afford Michelin, try Bridgestone Turanza or the new one Potenza GIII. Quite good I heard.

BTW, anyone can find me 2 rims of stock Accent 14" or not?
marky
Club Founder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelin is a very good tyre. I used it for my Iswara and the grip is there. Aqua planning is also good. Only a bit higher priced but worth spending. Have anyone tried Dunlop Le Mans or Yokohama?

Chan, ask Wang. He might want to sell his rims. Btw, why only 2 rims? House Deco ar??? hahahaha.
chkwong wrote:
Top up a bit u get the Michelin la. Common, give Michelin a try. Once you try it, you sure dump Goodyears tyres already. Then you will start to think what hv you been missing all this while.

Share my family story...
Once my brother's car (old Saga) change tyres to brand X, cheaper than Michelin RM10 bucks only. After just 1 day of driving he swear and curse next time he wont try to save the RM10 per tyre just for kiamsiap.

This mgmr drive Accord, I recommend him the higher grade MXV8. He said too expensive. Ok lor, just change front two tyres first la. Then he change it. Next day, he told he 'It's a world different compared to my previous set'.

If you can't afford Michelin, try Bridgestone Turanza or the new one Potenza GIII. Quite good I heard.

TewKY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky wrote:
Michelin is a very good tyre. I used it for my Iswara and the grip is there. Aqua planning is also good. Only a bit higher priced but worth spending. Have anyone tried Dunlop Le Mans or Yokohama?

Chan, ask Wang. He might want to sell his rims. Btw, why only 2 rims? House Deco ar??? hahahaha.
chkwong wrote:

Share my family story...

My last wira did try up both Dunlop Le Mans and Yokohama, performance wise good also quite silent and comparable to michelin if normal usage. Very Happy
marky
Club Founder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about aquaplanning/going through puddle of water or wet handling?
Which was your most prefered? Yokohama or Dunlop Le Mans?

TewKY wrote:
marky wrote:

chkwong wrote:

Share my family story...

My last wira did try up both Dunlop Le Mans and Yokohama, performance wise good also quite silent and comparable to michelin if normal usage. Very Happy

ken
General Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chkwong wrote:

Top up abit mean how much ah? Wink
marky
Club Founder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're looking at about RM$15 to 20
ken wrote:
chkwong wrote:

Top up abit mean how much ah? Wink

chkwong

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For normal usage, normal tyres can do already. Since I do quite a lot of last minute braking, going over potholes and bumps and cornering, normal tyres won't do. Enuff talking, get the Michelin.
slbeh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chkwong wrote:
If urs is the stock 14" alloy rim, take Michelin XM1 185/60/14 or 185/65/14. If 15" rim, take Pilot Preceda, 195/55/15 which I'm using on my City now, very grippy. Both grades are meant for different thing. XM1 is meant for comfort, low noise, very good grip also <-- tested in emergency before whereas the Pilot Preceda is meant for sports performance, take hard cornering.

XM1 for 14" start from about RM160 onwards, I'm using the 65 series, so a bit more expensive but more comfortable, FC suffer a bit, going over bumps and potholes no problem.

Pilot Preceda is for 15" and above, series 55 and below, start from about RM240 onwards, meant for sports performance.

One grade in between above is MXV8 for 15" and above, series 60 and above, price somewhere in between above. More silent and comfortable than both above. Better cornering than XM1, but not as good as Pilot Preceda.

Mind you, once you start using Michelins, you can see how different the stock Goodyear tyres is. No need to say more, come to TT, I let u sit in my car.

If Michelins are a bit expensive, then try Bridgestone Potenza for sports or Turanza for comfort, slightly cheaper but price diff just too close to Michelins.

Have been using Michelins for more than 10yrs, so far no regrets, money well paid for. So far in all the Michelin grades I used, wet and dry performance is up to my expectations. Wink

Thank You chkwong to share the experience about the abovementioned tyres with us

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
marky
Club Founder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chkwong, good sharing. I have used Michelin too for some years on my Iswara. Even on emergency breaking and my wheels lock, its still possible to steer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Wheel, Tyre, Suspension & Safe Operation All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: