Forum Index
Hyundai Accent Club of Malaysia

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannot Start Car

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simonsta
General Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Cannot Start Car Reply with quote

hi guys, recently had this problem. I have an Accent Hatchback 2006.

existing problem is central locking got problem, the famous metal rod problem (i.e only driver door locks but other doors do not lock, can solve by greasing or replacing the metal rod). it tends to happen when car is parked under sun, and it will be OK after a while.

Yesterday I used my car as normal, during journey I realise central locking problem again, but I just ignored it. I used the car like normal then parked back home. Then left it idle. I top-ed up the battery water while routine checking the car.

After that when I tried to start my car, it cannot start.
Aircond, clock, radio, lights, alarm are all functional.

So first suspect is the battery (I thought maybe topping up the battery water damaged it). Battery is only 6 months old. Mechanic check battery charge, its still very good.

So they suspect its the starter. Removed starter and sent to mechanic to check, starter is OK.

At this point they suspect its the alarm system cutting off current from the engine to start, but they change some wiring just for safety (but was not specific on which wiring). They said this new wiring can handle a higher current load.

After that car can start again. But the whole process took 2 days coz it was a weekend and had to call different mechanics.

Mechanics not very sure what was the problem. They still think it's the alarm system showing symptoms of dying. I really don't think so because I didn't alarm lock the car just before it died. It was in unlock mode and engine off. Alarm shouldn't suddenly trigger on itself and cut off engine start.

My questions :
- Anybody had this problem before?
- Is the alarm system starting to cause problem? Should be checked?
- Or is it a wiring problem?
- Any idea what wiring was changed (Sorry I'm really bad when it comes to car electrical).
- If this is an alarm problem, like say I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere and my car can't start, will turning the small key underneath the dashboard + setting the key ignition to 'ON' solve this problem?

I'm just afraid this problem re-occur, (and it's very troublesome, if it was middle of nowhere I think have to tow already because jumpstart doesn't work) so I need to know what I should look into.

Hope you guys can help! Thanks so much.
chkwong

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps yours is auto? And accidentally put the gear in D or R position?
ropai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suggest you turn off the alarm for a few days (using the small key underneath dashboard).

if you do not encounter the starting problem again, then maybe it's time for a replacement alarm unit.
zam79
General Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dear friend, remember next times dont ever try to top up the battery water while engine car running. The best way is early morning when engine cold, you can top up. Please take note.

Anyway, do you have 2nd car or nearest neighbour? try to jump start using jumper cable (good cable only). Perhaps you need to find same type and size example N60 jump to N60. My suspect is your battery is poor or weekness even new battery. It true when check voltage without running engine, the reading still good. But when we need to start the engine, starter need more power from battery.
simonsta
General Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys thanks so much for your input!

Noted on the battery water top-up only during cold engine, and the charge level seemed OK (but maybe not), I think most likely this was the problem.

I hope it's not the alarm. So far the alarm behaviour is back to normal.

After the wire was changed, the car came back to live, but this was about 36 hours after the incident so maybe the battery became OK.

Car is back to normal now, but on Wednesday during servicing I will get Hyundai service to do a complete check up on the alarm and electrical system.

In future if anybody has this problem do add on to this thread.
simonsta
General Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon confirmation with Hyundai service center, the topping up of battery water while engine was still warm was probably the cause.

Also another mechanic already added an extra relay wire to add more current for the starter. Since this is already in, can leave it. No harm.
zam79
General Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news bro, Laughing
chkwong

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep...good news

hey zam...how's your spring buffer? am thinking to put one...share more of ur experience so far pls...thx
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Car Engine & Electrical All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: