Forum Index
Hyundai Accent Club of Malaysia

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Absorber leaking
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Wheel, Tyre, Suspension & Safe Operation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ropai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does gas absorber "leak oil"?
this question has not been answered yet...
HighCurrent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ours is oil type. KB cheated us? Now i remember when i bought this car, it was advertized as using gas type absorber. or is it local spec changed?
chkwong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Localised version, swap with inferior stuff? Not the first time. Profit mah.

The brochure show pictures interior got this and that. But our local Accent got what? Nothing close to what the brochure mentions.

Make a complaint to Hyundai Korea. Hope they will take back the franchise and set up their direct factory here.

Remember the Kah Motor - Honda not so long ago? More ppl complain, ended up Honda took it back and set up local office. Now, no more hanky cheapskate panky accessories in Honda cars.
david
Club Founder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you chkwong... please keep us inform the chronological stories later.
ropai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe this is a serious 'false-advertizing' issue we're dealing here, if the absorbers installed in our Accents are indeed oil-based types.

has anyone changed their absorbers? how can we know the exact make & model of the absorbers factory-installed on Accents?
david
Club Founder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ropai,

this question has to be answer by KB themselves because thats the effect of CKD in order to comply with certain quotas government policies on using local parts.

same like proton case, they changes suppliers of parts base on supply demand chain and price war, hmm... not forgetting clonies.

maybe each batch of the cars coming out to market uses different batch of suppliers.
noname
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
hi ropai,

this question has to be answer by KB themselves because thats the effect of CKD in order to comply with certain quotas government policies on using local parts.

same like proton case, they changes suppliers of parts base on supply demand chain and price war, hmm... not forgetting clonies.

maybe each batch of the cars coming out to market uses different batch of suppliers.

david got a point here. as said by KB, the accent selling in M'sia is CKD... so when they assembled it, might swap with those cheaper thing or demanded items...
david
Club Founder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if we can get CBU cars with CKD, i think we all should have less issues with this car now.
ropai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand the concept of CKD vs CBU (and the reason behind it, our 'beloved' Plotong), but if the gas absorbers are not installed i feel purely conned. i still have the spec sheet brochure saying 'gas-type absorbers' from the showroom.

is there anyone that knows what make & model does the factory install on our CKD Accents? there must be at least somebody that has changed to sports suspension setup, who can testify to what brand & model was installed as stock.

i do not simply ask this question out of curiosity, i'm asking because i feel that the ride & handling of the car is deteriorating. and this isnt even one-year old yet.

i installed Monroe gas-absorbers on my previous iswara, and the ride was comfortable even though the car was lousy. when i go over road bumps with windows open, i can hear the gas compressing 'psssst' sound. not in accent though, i wonder why...
david
Club Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry ropai i can't pin point which model or brand your ride is, the best is to jack up your car and disassembly and check it out, as I explained before for CKD built cars, sometimes its more than one suppliers involved.

i am amazed that Gas Absorbers can satisfy your comfort because most of the time oil filled shockers will give you the comfort instead. anyhow, all the best to find out. Laughing
ropai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks david, i believe i missed out the fact that there are most likely more than one suppliers involved.

on the other hand, KB wont advertize 'gas-type' suspension if it doesn't have a selling point, right? we all know how profit-oriented they are...

i need to read up more on suspensions, and maybe change the stock ones to improve comfort & handling. will update the forum when that happens.

thanks for all your feedback Accentians, i'll be back...
noname
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhap change the spring to eibach ... will give you comfort and performance at the same time.
ropai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eibach springs very expensive... my previous monroe shocks cost about 180 each, dont remember what model though...

something i just found at http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/Notes_From_The_Road/In_for_a_Shock.aspx :

What Types?
Although there have been many different designs for shock absorbers over the course of automotive history, today there are four basic types available:

* Twin-tube
* Mono-tube
* Gas-filled mono-tube
* External reservoir

Sometimes these types of shock absorbers are incorporated into a strut-type suspension that uses the shock absorber as part of the spring support, but the basic principles still apply.

The twin-tube design is the most common and often times the least expensive. These are the ordinary shock absorbers that typical passenger cars and trucks use, and they are widely available at car dealerships, auto parts stores and repair facilities. As the name implies, in a twin-tube shock, there are two actual tubes one the outer shock body and the other a cylinder inside in which the piston moves. Tiny holes or orifices in the piston as well as special valves between the inner and outer tubes restrict the flow of oil to control wheel motion.

The limitations of twin-tube shocks become apparent when they are used over very bumpy roads. In this case, the rapid motion of the piston can cause the oil to overheat and to foam, reducing the shock absorber's ability to control wheel motion. The result is a ride that becomes increasingly sloppy, especially when traveling over a washboard surface. Heavy-duty twin-tube shock absorbers are usually stronger, with more robust piston shafts and mounting points, and they may use oils that are more resistant to foaming, but ultimately they still have the same limitations.

Mono-Tube and Gas-Filled Shocks
The heat generated in the twin-tube shock tends to get trapped within the walls of the shock absorber body, reducing its effectiveness in controlling wheel motions. The mono-tube shock absorber uses a piston traveling within a single tube that is exposed more directly to the air. The general advantages and disadvantages of this design are:

* By getting rid of heat more easily, mono-tube shocks are less susceptible to overheating on rough roads.
* They are more expensive to manufacture however, and the tolerances must be higher and the seals better to keep the oil inside the shock body.

To prevent foaming and bubbles in the oil, which degrades shock-absorber performance, a gas-filled mono-tube shock has a chamber of high-pressure nitrogen above the oil chamber. This high-pressure gas makes it difficult for bubbles to form in the oil, even when the shock absorber moves in and out very quickly, as it might while traveling rapidly on a very rough or washboard road.

Gas-filled shocks are expensive, since they require strict manufacturing tolerances, but they are very resistant to fade and consequently are popular in off-road racing and rallying. Gas-filled shocks, by the way, are not the same as "air shocks" which use an air chamber separate from the shock oil. An air shock is actually an air spring that raises or lowers the vehicle when air is added or removed through a valve.
elora_81
General Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

odeon wrote:
clkwa wrote:
Our absorber is using oil type.

As for the indications, you will feel that ur car's handling degrade and u feel weird. Another way is to get it tested. They are suspension tester. I think N1 racing have it. I did a test on my suspension in Penang, bukit Mertajam. There is one shop equip with suspension and brake testing machine. it can how how well ur suspension is performaning.

The time I ask the sale person, he said the absorber is gas type...so that why I think my car is not good in handling rough road, quite noisy.....

I have changed my accent absorber yesterday. as per mechanic said, our absorber original is a twin tube shock absorber which means a double-cylinder shock absorber, which is particularly suitable for use in a MacPherson strut, includes an inner cylinder having a closed lower end and which is filled with oil. A piston rod extends into the inner cylinder through the upper end thereof. A piston is secured to the lower end of the piston rod and divides the cylinder into upper and lower oil chambers. The piston is provided with a fluid metering device providing a damping force mechanism. A rod guide head closes the upper end of the inner cylinder and is provided with an opening which is slightly spaced from the piston rod to form an annular clearance therebetween. An outer cylinder is coaxially disposed around the inner cylinder and forms therewith an annular reservoir chamber having closed upper and lower ends. The lower portion of the reservoir chamber is filled with oil and the upper portion is filled with gas. A passage way is provided between the upper portion of the reservoir chamber and the inner cylinder and includes the annular clearance between the rod guide head and the piston rod. An integral gas seal is disposed in the passage way and includes a main seal portion sealingly engaging the piston rod at a position above the rod guide head for preventing oil passing through the annular clearance from escaping from the shock absorber. The other end of the gas seal is provided with a gas seal lip portion having a flexible portion for engaging the rod guide head or the inner surface of the outer cylinder. Accordingly, excess oil from the upper oil chamber of the inner cylinder will pass into the reservoir chamber but gas in the reservoir chamber closes the gas seal thereby to seal the passage.
elora_81
General Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to tell the brand is MANDO (with label hyundai).i changed the same brand for RM350 for front only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Wheel, Tyre, Suspension & Safe Operation All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: